Mott’s Grove Campground (Established 1872)

  • screen 1
  • screen 2
  • screen 3
  • screen 4
  • screen 5
  • screen 6

.

This small campground of 30 tents is named for Dr. John J. Mott, who came upon a group of African Americans having a worship service in the woods one evening.

 Mott, a physician who became the leader of the North Carolina Republican Party, gave the land, after the Civil War, to the African-American community to use for camp meetings.

Camp meeting is held each August.